Green Patty Pan Squash
Yellow Patty Pan Squash ('Sunburst')
Crookneck and Sunburst
Cut away stems and bottom ends
A Dutchman's Summer Squash
To some people there's not much difference in the taste, but I like
the Green Patty Pan much better than other summer squashes.
I've only seen the obviously relaled Zucchini ('courgette'), but it is
too watery for this recipe.
Something in the raw Green Patty Pan Squash irritates the skin
on my hands: when cutting it I always wear plastic gloves.
- 4-5 Lb (2-2½ Kg) Summer Squash
- 1 Lb (500 g) Swiss Cheese
- Wash squash carefully;
- Bring 3-4 cups of water to a boil in bottom part of steaming pan (with the lid on);
- Cut away stems and bottoms of squash, and cut squash in small pieces:
I'd say leave 1-inch (2½ cm) pieces whole, cut 1½-inch (4
cm) in 2 pieces, 2-inch (5 cm) in 4 pieces etc.; put in steamer basket;
- When the water boils, put lid on steamer basket, and put the
basket on the steaming pan; let green patty
pan cook for 18 minutes, yellow patty pan and crookneck for 15 minutes;
- Grate 1 pound of Swiss cheese, coarsely;
- Put cooked squash on plates and cover with cheese.
Meal Preparation Schedule
- 2 Lb (1 Kg) tomatoes (Roma)
- 4-5 Lb (2-2½ Kg) summer squash
- 7 oz (vol.) rice (Uncle Ben Parboiled)
- 1 Lb (500 g) Swiss cheese
- eggs, a little butter
- Carefully wash squash;
- Wash tomatoes;
- Cut up tomatoes, bring to a boil and let stew (slow bubble);
- Cut up squash, put in steamer basket;
- Bring water for rice to a boil (12 fl. oz. for 7 vol. oz. rice);
- Put rice in boiling water, lower heat, set timer for 20 minutes;
- Put 3-4 cups water in steaming pan, bring to a boil;
- Start grating cheese;
- Put steamer basket on steaming basket when there are 8 (or 5) minutes left;
- At 2 minutes left, start baking eggs;
- Check rice when timer goes off, if still wet leave it on very low heat
for a few more minutes;
- Set timer for 10 minutes;
- After those ten minutes, put squash on plates and cover with grated cheese;
- Put rice on plates, cover with stewed tomatoes;
- Ad egg.
A Summer Squash Meal: Steamed Squash Covered with Swiss Cheese,
a Baked Egg, and Rice Covered with Stewed Tomatoes
A Baby Squash Meal
Copyright © Marco Schuffelen 2007.
All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.