Guacamole (Avocado Dip)
Your guacamole will only be as good as your avocado.
- lemon or lime for juice
- freshly ground pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- garlic powder
It's best when the avocado is just getting soft. Buy Hass avocados
when they're hard and green or green-with-black. Do not squeeze
avocado to determine ripeness. The spots you pressed will turn black
later. I hate it when I see other customers do that in the
store. Avocados will ripen in a few days at room temperature (if it's
not too cold.) It is said that putting avocados in a paper bag with an
apple and a banana will hasten ripening, but I've never seen it happen
at my house.
This is a nice snack for three; for a large group you could double
amounts, maybe a little less than double the lemon or lime juice.
- Cut avocado lengthwise around the stone, turn halves
against each other and they will come apart;
- Slap knife into stone, move knife to loosen stone from avocado half;
- Remove avocado flesh from skin with a round spoon, put in bowl;
- Grind some pepper and grate some nutmeg over it, and add a very
small amount of garlic powder (less than a 'smidgen' which is
1/16 teaspoon, ¼ ml, 'a
- Add 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh lemon or lime juice, and mash and mix with
- Cut up a small to medium tomato in very small pieces and add, mix in;
- Dip tortilla chips in guacamole.
I used to make the guacamole of two avocados for my family of three,
but that's really a little much, reduces appetite for dinner.
Copyright © Marco Schuffelen 2006.
All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Don't be a
dief (thief) -
dievegge (female thief) -
diefstal (theft) -
stelen (to steal) -
heler (dealer in stolen goods) -
hear Dutch -